The leading tourist destination in South East Europe, which is annually visited by over 15 million tourists. Tourism is the main economic activity in the country. Croatia offers a unique combination of stunning natural beauty, beautiful beaches with plenty of sun, a rich history, interesting architecture, nautical adventures, fantastic wine and delicious seafood. Land of colors and the sun – a land full of life!
10 interesting facts about Croatia
- Croatia’s coastline is about 1,777 km long, if we add to this the coast of all the islands the country has a total of 5,800 km of coastline. It has 1,246 islands, only 50 are permanently populated and represents a paradise for nautical tourism.
- Dalmatian dog breed originated from Croatia.
- The necktie was invented in Croatia.
- Almost 10% of Croatia consists of 11 natural parks, 8 national parks and two nature reserves.
- Croatia boasts with 2,715 hours of sunshine per year, which is higher than the Australian Sidney.
- Roman amphitheater in Pula is only one of the three still preserved in the world.
- Dubrovnik is a popular destination for filming different movies and series known worldwide, such as Game of Thrones, Star Wars-a, etc.
- Country is known for it’s cuisine, delicious food and tasty wine. It has very rich Mediterranean cuisine. In Istria is a well-known use of truffles in the local specialties.
- One of the most tourist countries in Europe with many attractions protected under UNESCO. It has 7 cultural and 1 natural heritage on the World Heritage List.
- The most famous personalities born in Croatia: Nikola Tesla and Josip Broz Tito